Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Ramen Review Addendum 2: Raoh with added ingredients

In my earlier review, I predicted that the Raoh brand ramen would make a good base for adding other ingredients to, in order to turn it into a full meal which is competitive with restaurant ramen (after all, it's even suggested on the packaging that you do so).  I recently experimented with this, and for the most part, those predictions were correct!  During my experimentation, I used different ingredients on different soup mixes, with the following results: 

Shoyu Ramen with bok choi and roast duck meat: 

I got these ingredients from a nearby Asian grocery store*, and I must say I was quite pleased with the results when I added them to the Shoyu ramen.  They nicely complemented the flavor of the Shoyu ramen, turning a somewhat bare-bones product into a full meal.

Tonkotsu Ramen with roast duck meat and sweet corn:

I must admit, this was not the best combination I came up with.  The Raoh Tonkotsu was already rich and filling, so adding a large amount of corn and several pieces of roast duck meat resulted in me having an overstuffed feeling when I finished this bowl.  In the future, I will probably add fewer ingredients, or just have the soup itself without anything added.

Adding ingredients really does make a difference with this line of instant ramen, most dramatically with the shoyu ramen; what made it my least favorite variant as a standalone product now makes it my favorite when combined with other ingredients.

*Son Atlantic Market, in Danbury, CT

No comments:

Post a Comment